Example questions – to help you prepare for IT Manager interview
A sample of some of the general types of interview questions that could be used for IT Manager roles is listed below ….. However the actual interview questions will depend upon the selection criteria for the role – so some of these questions might not be relevant to the role you are going for …..
- Which do you think should be the highest priorities for the IT Manager role?
- Give us a recent example that demonstrates how you go about gathering user requirements when developing a new system?
- What experience have you had conducting major negotiations with suppliers for new hardware or software?
- When have you provided leadership that has resulted in significant enhancements and improvements to IT infrastructure?
- What are some of the types of policies and procedures that should be in place in order to ensure security in the storage of confidential data ?
- Effectively implementing a new system in the workplace requires change management capabilities – can you give an example of an IT change project that you managed – and describe how you engaged staff and management in the process – and how you dealt with any resistance to the change?
- What strategies have you used in the past to manage and develop the performance of staff?
- Tell us about a time when you were able to persuade and gain the support of senior management to a technology imitative you were advocating? …….. What type of business case did you put forward?
- Which have you found to be the most effective strategies and methods for the maintenance of network security?
- What’s been your experience with ensuring disaster recovery plans remain current and relevant?
- Describe the troubleshooting process you have followed in the past when a key business program crashed
- What is your understanding and experience with cloud applications?
- Describe a situation where you had to explain technical details to a non-technical audience. How did you adjust your communication to get your message across effectively?
- Tell us about a time when there was conflict in your team and how you dealt with it?
- Tell us about a challenging project you’ve managed recently? ….. What did you do to ensure the project was delivered on time, in budget and to spec?
- Describe a time when a member of your team was underperforming. How did you address the issue with them – and what was the result?
- What do you do to keep up-to-date with technology trends in our industry? ….. Who do you regard as the technology thought leaders in our industry?
- Tell us about your experience in forecasting, managing and controlling a significant budget?
- What is it about this role that most interests you – and why do you want to work with our organisation?
These sample interview questions should get you started in terms of preparing your thoughts for the forthcoming interview – and also give you some ideas for questions to use for some interview rehearsals. Good luck ! ……. Oh, one last thing – if you are looking for some expert help in rehearsing for your interview, then check out interview coach Melbourne