Job interviews can be daunting
Do you find that you get nervous at job interviews – and walk away feeling that you failed to present yourself in the best possible light?
Don’t worry, you’re not alone. Many people find the job interview to be a daunting experience and can become quite intimidated by it.
But whether you like it or not, you’ve got to learn how to sell yourself at the interview. You need to practice becoming more comfortable talking about your skills and achievements. After all, the interview is no time for humility or modesty.
Like any other form of competition, you need to understand the rules of the game and think about how you can best play to your strengths.
Quick tips to help you present yourself positively at the interview
In the following brief video clip, I share five job interview tips that can help to increase your chances of success.Suggestions include
- Confidence comes from feeling well prepared. So become familiar with the requirements of the job and learn as much as you can about the company. It is not uncommon for an interviewer to ask “What do you know about us?”
- Listen carefully to the interview question and pause a moment before you respond. Between questions while you are waiting for the next question, remember to take a deep slow breath to compose yourself. When you are answering, take your time and don’t rush.
- Enthusiasm is a quality that most interviewers are looking for in an applicant – along with initiative.
- Anticipate likely interview questions …. and expect there will be some behavioural framed questions. This is when the interviewer asks for an example of when you have displayed a particular quality or capability. For example, they might ask you “Tell us about a time when you dealt with an angry or very demanding customer – how did you deal with the situation?”
- Never assume that the interviewers have fully digested the information in your resume. Your resume won you the interview, now it’s about how you actually describe your experience and make it relevant to the position you are applying for.
Visit Interview Coaching if you are located in Melbourne and wanting to find expert assistance to help you prepare and rehearse for a jforthcoming ob interview.
Also, there are some more really excellent tips at our page Interview Tips
- Skills Needed to Win a Job
In this video clip, although the focus is upon technical people such as programmers or analysts, never-the-less there is some good advice offered to help you understand what interviewers are looking actually for, that can help increase your chances of success at the interview…..
- Job Interview Skills
If you can look past the promotion of their DVD, in this next video clip there are some great job interview tips offered that can help you with your interviewing preparation ….
- Interview Fundamentals
In the following short clip, there are some essential interviewing tips offered that remind you of the importance of body language and eye contact during the interview
- Answering Interview Questions
Another good clip, this one with five specific job interview tips on how to answer questions – and a useful reminder about the need to avoid rambling and how to include some structure in your answers…
So far, we’ve focused on skills for winning at the interview, but perhaps it is just as important to sometimes consider whether a job is in fact well-suited to you. Visit our page Career Planning and also you might like to visit our pages Personal Development